Streams

In search of the final destination...

Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

I believe in keeping friends.

Friday, June 18, 2004

Dreams

Every one has a dream. Every game show which perceptually tests ones personality has these questions put forward, “if you were not what you are, then what would you like to be?” or “given an option where would you like to be?” I have some answers of my own.

Last day, I was watching a children’s movie (oh yes! I am child at heart). The parting dialogue in the movie is, “Well, just because we cannot see something, it does not mean that it is not there.” Although the reason I watched the movie was because I was tired of my finance lessons, this sentence made me contemplate over the relevance of it in our day to day life. There is a wonderful wall paper that Hallmark brought out which says, “Seeing is Believing”. The poster had a beautiful lady and a kid; of course my memories revolved around the lady! Now, the reason I brought up the story of the poster is because what it said contradicted what I just heard from a kid. I thought it would be appropriate to decide which would be the most relevant or the most followed in my life.

As a kid, I had some of the beautiful moments when my granny sat down with me narrating glorious episodes of the princess and the prince who came to save her; the fairy who comes secretly at night to hear my wishes and take them to God who grants them; the other fairy who fought off all the treacherous monsters off my room and many more. She was so articulate and expressive that every time she starts telling me the stories, I could see her transform to the princess and the fairy. I still know how much I wished to see the fairy and give her my detailed list so that she could bring me exactly what I wanted. Though I never saw her, I always knew she was there and I believed when my granny said, “You be a good boy and drink your milk and fairy would soon come to see you!”

I moved to upper grades and I was introduced into a much modern world. The world of machos; the one in which I could not see my fairy and I was to believe that she was never there, because if I did not, I could never be part of the big league. I of course cherished my dreams and I am pretty sure that almost all my friends did, but were too proud to say it out loud.

I was filled with law of Gravitation and Relativity and all I know is that if I follow a discrete set of procedures, I would get a result which is suppose to denote the ultimate truth which is worth believing. I was being crafted into a man. The people who crafted me were pretty dexterous, I should say; now that I can sit down and put my thoughts down!

The actual point is that after all those years of rigorous training and brain wash; I still believe that I am the disciple of the kid’s philosophy. Well, I believe that we all are. I have no idea of the percentage of atheist within our population. The amoung rest, who I believe still forms the majority, the number of people who actually saw God would be negligible (I am assuming this because the priest of my church had once said that the Holy Pope usually speaks with God personally). I do not wish to go into the theological altercation. The point I wanted to make is that we still believe in God, though I have never seen him personally! Again I believe that Jimi Hendrix was just human, where as is his music is so out of this world! And oh yes, every night as I go to sleep, I make a list of things to do tomorrow.

It has not caused any damage to me being imaginative and by believing what I could not see. It just provided me a wonderful way to lead my life. When I see my granny, I am as excited to see her as she is, to lie in her lap and sail in the world of stories. It brings to life the special bond I have with her. It rejuvenates my mind which could other wise be filled with thought of my finances, my machine designs or the new job I am due to take. I realize that it was far better then when I was five and I long to be there. And when it is time to move back into the city after my vacations, I long for my next vacations.

I once read, “Child is the father of man!” I believe it. The one thing I could trade for my entire assets would my childhood. Though I cannot see it coming towards me, I still believe that it is some where there and I just need to search for it. It may be with the love of my life or with the kids we would have or may be even when I turn sixty or seventy. But the most significant thing is to preserve our childhood within ourselves. It keeps us young at heart.

As I walk back into my real world I hum….

“Some day I’ll be, Young at five;
With ones I love and who loves me most…”

4 Comments:

Blogger Arunima said...

you talk about issues which are close to my heart. see me around and keep up the good work.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Jubilant said...

I guess it is easy to find things within you than to search it out in the wild.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

Its always nice to go back to our roots and reflect on where we started and developed our existence..

Thats being grounded and firmly in place and taking all the things in life in stride... a powerful thought !!!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Jubilant said...

Thanks for the comment:-)

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home