Streams

In search of the final destination...

Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

I believe in keeping friends.

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Friendship

We have been taught “Knowledge is Wealth”. The past few days of my life have gone by with incidents which made me juggle around with on this saying. ‘What is wealth?’ I would not swing the focus on to Adam Smith’s definition of wealth, but I tried to answer the question in my own perspective.

To me friendship is the greatest wealth an individual can have. I may not be the most elegant or successful person on the earth, but if I have a few good friends, then I would not be lonely in this wide world! Being lonely could be one of most awful dream I could ever have! It may not be the same for all, but I am positive that every one of us would need a company or rather would long for a companion at some point of time. What I feel is that a person who has at least one dependable friend is a blessed guy.

Many people count me as sentimental or an expressionist when I emphasize the need of having good friendship and keeping it. I admit that I tend to become a little emotional with relationships as well. That is who I am and I do not look down on me for it. I am quite happy that I have friends whom I am sure would be there for me….or at least for whom I am sure that I would be there for. I like the feelings to be expressed; I respect my friends’ feelings and would definitely take the first step to resolve an issue. I felt that this always helped me to keep my friends.

Last day a friend of mine made remarks on avoiding teasing comments between friends, when we share a good moment. To this, I had commented that a limit has to be maintained and that I believe that a friendship should stay afloat in any circumstance. I had to give it a little thought and I realized that some times between friends, we take things for granted. The friendship would have lasted for a prolonged period that one tends to believe that he/she knows every thing about other person. This might turn fatal owing to the fact that human nature is unfathomable. I could state something from my own life for this:
I used to be a very hot tempered guy when I was in my teens. I had friends, and I believed that our relationship was simply great. It was accidental that one day I said a joke to which every one stood surprised… it was for the first time that I made a joke on myself. I found that it appealed a lot to my friends and I could use it to make the relationship livelier. Now, that did not mean that I lost my tempered character. But being with my friends I realized that being hot tempered would not do any good to my life… it could as well bring misery! I tried to adapt and I believed that all my friends were to adapt too. I took them for granted. And then was a day when I found out that I was not correct when an offhand comment took one of my friends away from the group. It was just a mistake or rather something that I forgot. But it cost me a friend!

It was a grave feeling to lose a friend. It was painful realizing that I had been instrumental for this agony. To be honest I do not know till now, why I felt so. Was it because I knew he is never going to come back or was it because I knew it was tedious to find another friend like him? I could really live with out him! Every thing remains the same! But one thing I know is that even after so many years, I still miss him and I really wish could change that one moment.

I think that any friendship should be of a standard as to forgive and forget. As I mentioned earlier, it would be ideal if friendship could stay afloat in all circumstances. But it is being reveled to me that it is not an easy thing after all. A certain amount of commitment is required to keep such a blessed relationship, which I feel is the underlying wave of all other relationship or rather friendship is the essence that ads a special touch to any other relationship, be it be between a couple, kids and parents or any other relationship we could visualize. My experience tells me that it is easy to find a friend, it is difficult to find a true friend and it is tedious to be a true friend. When you long for a true friend; try to be one… and you could see everything you longed for would just follow you!


2 Comments:

Blogger Pallavi said...

Friends make the world a better place to be in .. and yes the right friends are like treasures which is very hard to find...

10:33 AM  
Blogger Jubilant said...

Thats the way life is, Pari. I think it was a brave move to take care of the least fortunate. Well done, you would always get a Jadhu Ki Jhappi from me, any time you want:-)

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home